Emily Hills

My work explores the role of science, medicine and art in shaping society’s future and present. This is part of a wider exploration into the relationship between our society and its deepest concerns such as placebos, preservation and morality. My practice incorporates references from both science and museology, intertwining them into a range of installations, sculptures and photography. By organising, curating and manipulating found scientific objects, I investigate the influences of science and medicine on the human existence and the trust we are prepared to give professionals of these industries. Using ephemeral and raw materials against ready-mades, I manipulate these objects, placing them into unusual contexts. This creates juxtaposition between the scientific and the organic in order to emphasize society attempts to control natural processes. The pieces often reflect my concerns of living in a twenty first century society, which I believe is strongly obsessed with preserving the ‘self’ and the ‘being’.

emshills@googlemail.com